Monday, May 14, 2018

206. Prodasineura collaris (Selys, 1860)

Number: 206
Family: Platycnemididae 
Genus: Prodasineura
Species: Prodasineura collaris
Common name(s): Collared Threadtail
Synonym(s): Alloneura collaris Selys, 1860, Alloneura dohrni Krüger, 1898
Habitat: Seepage/overflow from the road that became a tiny stream
Province(s) sighted: Hala below-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary (Narathiwat) 
Sightings (by me): 1 male, 1 female 
In flight (that I have seen): April    
Species easily confused with: Prodasineura doisuthepensis

Though beautiful little damsels, Prodasineura species are difficult to get good photos of as they tend to hang around the edges of streams and very low down. It was no different when I saw a male Prodasineura collaris. As light was fading fast, I managed to spot a male on my first day deep down perched over a tiny trickle. However, with the light almost gone so too did my chances of getting anything worthy of a good photo.

Two days later, I returned to the same spot and there was a female Prodasineura species on a stick just above a collection of leaves over seepage almost in the exact same place as the male. It was clearly a female P. collaris and she was fairly happy to let me snap away. Content with my shot of the female, I decided to go after the male once more. I pushed my way through bushes and dropped down about 5-6 feet to where there was a little bit more seepage/trickle and there he was. This time I managed to get a few fairly decent photos, especially as he was in such an awkward place. 

The male.
It is easy to ID this species and I am pretty sure it gets its name from the distinct blue band across its collar (see close-up)!


The female.
The female is like most other females in the genus but it has a blueish tinge to it and fortunately for ID purposes, it was the only species in the area.


No comments:

Post a Comment