Tuesday, May 8, 2018

194. Cratilla metallica (Brauer, 1878)

Number: 194  
Family: Libellulidae
Genus: Cratilla
Species: Cratilla metallica
Common name(s): Dark-tipped Forest-skimmer 
Synonyms: N/A    
Habitat: Temporary ditches in forested area 
Province(s) sighted: Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary and To Mo Community Forest (Narathiwat)
Sightings (by me): 2 males
In flight (that I have seen): April 
Species easily confused with: Cratilla lineata calverti

Well, I promised myself a trip to the south and I couldn't have got any further... Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary in Narathiwat was a super-cool place that houses a lot of great species and has the potential for a whole lot more. That said, I saw plenty, including one I have always wanted to see in Cratilla metallica. It is a brilliant species and lives and acts in a very similar way to its cousin, C. lineata, which I also saw there. However, I only managed to spot two males and sadly didn't get to see the female. C. metallica is found from Kanchanaburi south, though I am not sure how common it is. If you manage to hit the south, look for tiny ditches along trails in the forest. Hopefully, you will manage to spot one or two like I did guarding 'their' mud hole. 


The male


He is very easy to ID due to the distinct double blue bands across the abdomen and the black tips to the wings which give it its nickname. It also has a wonderful metallic green thorax (which obviously gives it its scientific name). 

Here, you can see his awesome green metallic thorax.
Hopefully, I will spot the female one day...


No comments:

Post a Comment